Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Night Sky

I've been asked a lot of questions about my character, Sky, and where she's from, as well as researching her culture because even though it's not what Night Sky is about, it does play a huge role in who Sky is.
My mom is from Southeast Alaska, the area Sky is from, and I still have a lot of family down there. My longest trip to that part of Alaska happened with I was in high school, and I just loved it. I loved the huge trees, and the totems, and the artwork, and it's stuck with me since then.

Once I knew Sky was Native, I knew she had to be from near Ketchikan. I love the Tlingit people, and the real life totems are completely awe-inspiring. We spent a lot of time at Totem Bight Park, and it isn't just the totems, but the meeting house, and the detail in design, and the colors I love so much.

I also wanted something that would be personal to Sky to give her something to share with Jameson, which is where the totems came in. When you're building a love story, each person has to have something to share, and some kind of need in the other. I loved how unique and interesting the totems would be to Jameson, someone who grew up in the desert around a completely different Native American culture.
I did have to do some research into what the different animals mean - because I'd sort of forgotten! But it didn't take long. I have several small totems in my house, but I'd love one day to have a large one, just maybe not quite as large as the "real" ones. I'm not sure my neighbors would go for that ;-D

It was a blast doing the research for Sky, and just gave me a greater appreciation for a group of people that I already held a large amount of respect for.

Thanks so much for having me today!
Night Sky Summary
After losing Sarah, the friend he’s loved, to some other guy, Jameson meets Sky. Her Native American roots, fluid movements, and need for brutal honesty become addictive fast. This is good. Jameson needs distraction – his dad leaves for another woman, his mom’s walking around like a zombie, and Sarah’s new boyfriend can’t keep his hands off of her.

As he spends time with Sky and learns about her village, her totems, and her friends with drums - she's way more than distraction. Jameson's falling for her fast.

But Sky’s need for honesty somehow doesn’t extend to her life story – and Jameson just may need more than his new girl to keep him distracted from the disaster of his senior year.

Jolene Perry's Bio:
Jolene grew up in Wasilla, Alaska. She graduated from Southern Utah University with a degree in political science and French, which she used to teach math to middle schoolers.

After living in Washington, Utah and Las Vegas, she now resides in Alaska with her husband, and two children. Aside from writing, Jolene sews, plays the guitar, sings when forced, and spends as much time outside as possible.

She is also the author of The Next Door Boys and the upcoming Knee Deep.

eBook
ISBN: 9
780983741862
ISBN: 97
81466052338
Pages: 247
R
elease: March 1, 2012

Tribute Books website:
http://www.tribute-books.com



Blog schedule:
http://night-sky-book.blogspot.com/2012/02/night-sky-blog-tour-schedule-march-1.html

2 comments:

Tribute Books said...

Sandra, thanks again for hosting Jolene today. The picture of the totem is gorgeous and it takes on even more significance after reading Jolene's post.

Sandra Cox said...

It was my pleasure. That totem is beautiful isn't it?